In 1937 the Legislature approved an act creating the State Planning Board which defined its duties, powers, and jurisdiction and made an appropriation to cover the necessary expenses of operation. Within the next ten years, the State Planning Board had accomplished much. In 1945, Assembly Bill No. 225 was approved which increased the function and duties.
Assembly Bill No. 601 was passed in 1973, which changed the name of the State Planning Board to the State Public Works Board. The Legislature, which created the Board, outlined its duties and responsibilities. The Board consists of seven members. The Director of Administration served as Chairman; the Manager of the Public Works Board served as the Secretary to the Board. The other six members were community representatives appointed by the Governor.